Happy Anniversary to me

Yesterday was a big day for me, although I spent it quietly writing and watching a great movie I’d not seen before.  It was the twenty-fifth anniversary of my moving to NE Ohio.

That’s a quarter of a century,and it’s a huge chunk of my life. Born and raised in Chicago, ten years in New York and twenty-four years in Los Angeles—and when I was first asked to come to Cleveland for a temporary job in 1987, I had no idea of where Cleveland even WAS. Sure, I was aware it was in Ohio—but really all I knew about Cleveland in 1987 was Jim Brown, Bob Feller, and the river burning!!! Besides, I was scheduled for a four-month stay and I didn’t even BOWL!  What was I going to do?

Within two weeks I was totally in love with Cleveland and its surrounding towns, so much so that when I returned to Los Angeles, where I lived, I began writing about Cleveland. I kept returning to Cleveland to promote my books, to do more research—until three years later I decided to move here permanently.

Now, WHY would anyone in their right mind choose to leave sunny, tinselly Los Angeles and move to cold, snowy Cleveland IN DECEMBER? That tells you much about me, I suppose. But my twenty-five years here have been the BEST years of my life. I’ve made many great friends, learned much from all of them, have enjoyed great theater, music, and sports here, have fallen hard for the people, the architecture, the beautiful green countryside just ten minutes from Public Square—and the tremendous sense of love and pride common to ALL Clevelanders, even the ones who’ve moved away.

Most importantly, I have met my soulmate, the love of my life.

Many of my thoughts and feelings have changed from being a tough, stab-you-in-the-back-before-you-stab-me Los Angeleno. Cleveland has made me a better person, it inspires me to sit down and write every day, and each time I drive toward downtown, the city’s skyline makes my blood run a little faster.

My future plans? A FIFTIETH anniversary in Greater Cleveland. After that….well, we’ll see.

About Les Roberts

Author, Internet and Radio Personality (www.greenlightreviews.com), Teacher, Critic, not a bad jazz piano player, Cleveland lover.
This entry was posted in Milan Jacovich. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Happy Anniversary to me

1. Kathleen says:

Glad that you came, glad that you stayed! I’m a life long Clevelander and I love our city and surroundings.
    Just waiting for a major sports championship!

2. Margaret says:

Cleveland was lucky to gain a person of ethics, an excellent author and obviously a very kind man.

3. Mr. Roberts, wow a lot of pride in Cleveburg. I hope you will do another book signing in Ravenna this year. That is the only time I met you and I would like to go a meet&greet to get your autograph on a few tomes you authored. If it is possible please send your public appearances this winter so I can renew our acquaintance. Thanks, Jack W. a fan from Mantua

• Les Roberts says:

Hi, Jack – Was that at the Ravenna Library, courtesy of Hiram? (BTW, I go to Hiram often and drive right through Mantua.)

I hope to do more signings in 2016—as long as they invite me.

Best,
      Les

4. Mary Anderson says:

I, too, am from Chicago. I moved here with my parents when my dad was transferred and I was in 7th grade. When I was 18, his company wanted to move him back to Chicago but I said I’d prefer to stay in Ohio. While I do wonder sometimes what life would have been like had I moved back, I’m glad I stayed. I, too, met my soul mate here and have two beautiful daughters and two beautiful stepdaughters plus four sons-in-law.

Life is good in Cleveland. I’m glad you’re here. I so enjoyed hearing about your adventures when you were the Friends of the Library’s guest speaker last spring. I so enjoy your books and plan to read at least two over Christmas break.

Enjoy the holidays however you celebrate them. Then, please keep writing!

5. John Hazlett says:

I’m a lifelong resident of Akron, Ohio. I frequently am in Cleveland-season tickets to Playhouse Square. I appreciate your literary efforts involving NE Ohio. This area contains some unique and hidden jewels not known to those outside this area.

• Les Roberts says:

John, I live in Stow, minutes away from Akron—and I’m often in Playhouse Square,too, especially to the Great Lakes Theater Company. This is indeed a great area. Anything you want is less than 45 minutes away from anything else. Just driving around for an hour or so elevates me and gives me loads to write about.

6. Juanita says:

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to claim that I get actually enjoyed account your
    weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you get right of entry
    to constantly quickly.